The team’s successes are my successes and I always set clear visions, roles, and priorities. I believe in the servant leadership style because I want to help people reach their goals.
My passion for creating product comes from getting positive end-user feedback and improving people’s lives.
As an engineer, project management is all about efficiency, organization and urgency. I balance priority and resources to get the job done.
I love to be challenged to create the impossible and to constantly imagine what the future will be like.
17 Countries Visited
Guest Speaker at Dartmouth
17 Product Awards Won
Solves Rubik’s cube ~60 seconds
Taken over 50,000 photos
Lived in 4 states
2017 – current
Ushio America / Nescal – Vergennes, Vermont.
The innovator of laser driven fiber optic illumination medical devices.
• Leading a team of six to design new medical device systems and drive towards revenue and cost targets
• Meeting industry leaders’ requirements while ensuring patient safety
• Managing 6+ external consultants for engineering, firmware, and electronic design resources
• Implementing a refreshed Product Development Process compliant with ISO 13485:2016 and FDA 21 CFR regulations
• Developing succinct forms for documents and records that leads to more development time
• Supporting role in FDA and client audits
• Searching out and hiring experienced talent
2016 – 2017
Senior Manager of R+D
Byrne Electrical Specialists – Rockford, Michigan.
Leading global manufacturer of power and data solutions for home, healthcare, hospitality, and office furniture industries with $120M in annual revenue and 200+ employees in US, China, Mexico and Brazil.
Directed product innovation with focus on future technologies. Oversaw 6-member team of engineers, industrial designers, and research specialists. Implemented Human Centered Design process. Furthered partnerships with customers and suppliers.
• Gained alignment with Directors by improving communication on product design and technologies.
• Doubled R+D capacity and competency by identifying/hiring 3 new employees through strategic talent development.
• Researched and prototyped cutting edge technologies: wireless power through Capacitive Coupling and DC Power transmission through flat wire technology.
• Managed the design of a new product line of residential power products to break into a new market for Byrne – Hand and Craft
• Included on 2 patent applications
Product Design Engineer
National Nail Corporation – Grand Rapids, Michigan
Innovative manufacturer of fasteners for residential, light commercial, and industrial construction applications.
Recruited as 1st Product Design Engineer to introduce design thinking and establish product design infrastructure. Qualified products and improved quality. Liaised to foreign suppliers. Communicated cross functionally.
• Played a key role in developing new product design process, which was adopted company-wide. Result: improved clarity at all levels, drove better timelines, and achieved alignment with management.
• Elevated intellectual property by transitioning tool design innovations/prototyping from Asian suppliers to in-house.
• Streamlined design-to-prototyping process from days to hours by implementing Solidworks 3D modeling software.
• Reduced miscommunication errors between company and manufacturers and improved purchasing accuracy by consolidating and standardizing vast library of fasteners using engineering documentation.
Senior R+D Engineer of Boards (2010-2015)
Senior Design Engineer (2002-2010)
Burton Snowboards Corporation – Burlington, Vermont
Directed design and improvement of 250+ SKUs annually with focus on Human Centered Design. Supervised and mentored 3 employees. Prototyped thousands of innovations, in collaboration with in-house facility. Conducted in-field testing. Liaised to 8 manufacturers in North America, Europe and Asia. Sourced and conducted engineering analyses on new materials. Attended tradeshows. Participated in presentations to global sales force. Translated technical language to non-technical stakeholders.
• Met and/or exceeded targets for costs and margins by innovating designs, materials, and manufacturing processes.
• Created and drove new quality and safety specifications for Global Quality Team to control costs and improve customer satisfaction, which contributed to company’s top ranking as #1 in sales in US with numerous awards.
• Played leading role in department’s newly formed Sustainability Initiative to raise sustainability quotient nationwide.
• Launched 1st web-based, direct-to-consumer study. Selected to manage Custom Snowboard Web Program.
• Developed new brainstorming strategy, resulting in a large quantity of ideas within short timeframes.
• Hired as Assistant Design Engineer, earning fast promotions to Design Engineer and Senior Design Engineer in 2002.
Teacher’s Assistant in AutoCAD, ME Department, 1996-1997
Machine Shop Technician, 1994-1997
University of Vermont – Burlington, Vermont
University of Vermont – Burlington, Vermont
Dean’s List & Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
Vice Chair, Student Chapter – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Leadership Flight School
Know Thy Self and Know Thy Team Workshops
Bartell & Bartell
Research + Design
ISO 13485 / FDA 21 CFR
Creo / Windchill
Risk, Compliance & IP Sr. Mgr. | Byrne
Working with Peter is definitely an awarding experience, Peter works hard, communicates easily, and his brain is always thinking of the next best thing, improvement or process. Peter navigates the research and design environment effortlessly and competently. Pair that with his mad engineering skills and he is unstoppable. I have worked with him on specific projects and admire his work ethic, organization, and speed to completion. Peter’s design and engineering background offers a wealth of knowledge and he doesn’t hesitate to use it to provide input to projects, to mentor others, and in being a valuable resource to our organization and any organization he would be part of.
VP of Marketing | Gaia Herbs
Over my ten years of collaborating with Peter to create the finest product in the market, I was impressed with Peter’s ability to distill feedback and transpose that feedback into physical product attributes that worked. Peter is very smart, enjoys being challenged and is adept at solving problems and generating solutions. He is comfortable in the digital, programming and web space as well as the true engineering space. This ability to program and create web databases and platforms for algorithmic solutions and analysis sets Peter apart from his peers. It was always a pleasure to work with Peter as he expected the best out of you and he demanded the best expected of him.
Senior Brand Manager | Giro Sport Design
I have known and worked with Peter Bergendahl for almost10 years while on the same product team at Burton. Peter is one of the smartest people that I have worked with, has excellent time management skills and is a true master of his craft. Peter is very well versed and skilled in many areas like engineering, the creation of flawless engineering packages (in CAD / ProE / Solidworks), developing product designs, knowledge of composites, knowledge of manufacturing, knowledge of information technology systems & building of websites, mathematics, data management and photography. Peter is also responsible for the technical design and execution of all Burton Snowboards from 2000 to current 2013 snowboard product line. Any snowboard design or new product technology that Burton produced during those years is Peter’s work. Peter can solve most any technical problem and can even solve a Rubik’s cube in any position in under 90 seconds! As a fellow team member Peter was always great to work with. He always brought ideas to the table with an open mind, he takes direction well and was always was great to collaborate with on new board designs, concepts and development of new technologies. Highly suggest Peter as an asset for any product development team, product innovation team or engineering project.
Director of Learning Solutions | Dealer.com
Peter’s approach to design and engineering is one that combines creativity and risk taking with pragmatism and quality. It is not enough to make a snowboard that functions well – he must challenge the prescribed limits of what that rather two-dimensional object can be. His ability to translate rider feedback into well-defined features and high-performance constructions is unparalleled in the industry. What you might not know about Peter is that he is also an excellent photographer and he brings that sense of capturing the perfect moment into all aspects of his professional life.
Director of Operations | Skida
With several years of experience working with Peter on the snowboard product team, Peter is someone I could count on as a teammate. Extremely detail oriented and dialed with follow through, Peter works smart, leading and completing projects early or on time. Peter brainstorms and communicates innovative design solutions that best work with both the desired aesthetic and the functionality of a snowboard design. Peter showcased the ability to explain or translate engineering ideas to Designers/Product Managers/Coordinators (like myself), whom may not be as technically savvy, furthering the understanding and marketing of different technologies for the brand. Multi-talented, as a photographer, Peter also knows how to capture a beautiful picture.